The Wasilla Aurora Cemetery is owned and operated by the City of Wasilla and is governed by Wasilla Municipal Code 13.24. The Office of the City Clerk maintains records of the cemetery to include lot reservations and internments, and answers general questions about the cemetery to include the installation of memorial monuments or the burial of remains. History: The Wasilla Aurora Cemetery was established in November 1947 when homesteader Fred Nelson deeded five acres of his land to the Wasilla Cemetery Association for $100. A contest among Wasilla schoolchildren resulted in the name “Aurora” for the new cemetery. Even as the first roads were being constructed and plots planned, the first burial took place. Mr. Julius “Joe” B. Palmer was laid to rest in Plot 1A on February 27, 1948. In March 1980 the Cemetery Association turned over the original parcel along with four other parcels to the City of Wasilla. Today the Wasilla Aurora Cemetery is comprised 11.25 acres divided into 5 sections with more than 600 individual lots. The city is responsible for the sale of lots, general maintenance and supervision of the cemetery. Individual owners maintain their own lots. Wasilla Aurora Cemetery has grown and developed well beyond the original vision of the members of the Cemetery Committee; but their planning and work laid a foundation for a peaceful spot which preserves the character of both the small 1940’s town and the quickly growing City of the 21st Century.
Location: Wasilla Aurora Cemetery, 1096 North Wasilla Fishhook Road, Wasilla, AK
Mailing Address: City of Wasilla Office of the City Clerk 290 E. Herning Avenue Wasilla, AK 99654Phone: 907.373.9090 Fax: 907.373.9092Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.
© 2009 City of Wasilla | City Hall: 290 E. Herning Ave., Wasilla, AK 99654 | 907.373.9050
Email theCity Webmaster
Terms of Usage
Website Created byVision Internet